An incredible pair of antique classic English wingback chairs, measuring almost 4.5’ high, discovered in the quaint seaside fishing and famous resort town of Saint-Jean-de-Luz, in southwest France’s Basque country. Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church is where King Louis XIV married Marie-Thérèse of Spain in 1660. The turreted house of Louis XIV is now a museum, that displays 17th-century country life, with authentic period furniture, including the King’s Chamber, where Louis XIV slept. One always wonders, how our pair of English leather wingback chairs made their way to the south of France. The seat cushions were remade in our Old Plank upholstery department and filled with real down feathers, for the ultimate in seating comfort and the leather is in a rich saddle color. Little history of the English Wingback. These chairs were also known as a wing chair and a grandfather chair, created in the late 1600s and designed with side wings, sometimes referred to as cheeks. The wings helped to enclose the persons upper body, to protect from cold drafts and hold the heat thrown from the fireplace, which is why wingbacks are commonly found adjacent to the hearth.