Give your home an Arabian Nights setting with genuine Persian or Oriental rugs.
- Oriental rugs come from many parts of the world.
- Genuine Persian rugs are oriental rugs made only in Iran.
Persian rugs were first made as early as the fourth century B.C. The earliest Persian rugs were hand woven by knotting soft woolen yarn onto a woven base. This process is still in use for creating genuine hand made oriental rugs.
Oriental rugs come from many regions of the world. The famous Kilim rugs that come from Iran and its neighboring countries like Turkey, Afghanistan, India and Pakistan, are often known as the Persian rugs. The best rugs ever produced were woven in this area.
Oriental rugs withstand years of hard wear because of the quality of materials and craftsmanship employed in making them. The Persian rugs and the Persian styled oriental rugs such as Oushak rugs are famous for their durability. If taken good care of, these Oushak rugs can last longer than 100 years. This character of durability is attributed to the use of top quality Kurk wool. Kurk wool is shorn from the shoulders and chest of mountain lambs.
Persian rugs and the Persian styled oriental rugs were originally made by wandering tribes who carried their looms wherever they went.
Rugs are now also manufactured in villages, towns and cities and are hugely popular in Europe and the US.
Traditional oriental rugs include
- Tibetan rugs
- Oushak rugs
- Coarse Persian rugs
Karastan rugs were the mass produced rugs made in the early part of the last century in factories to cater to the growing popularity of oriental rugs. Nowadays both hand made and factory produced rugs are widely available.
When choosing an oriental rug or a Persian rug there are several points to consider:
- Quality of the knots and pile
- Shape of the rug
- Age and history if it is an antique/hand made rug
In order to get the best out of Persian rugs and oriental rugs they should be taken good care of:
- Regularly vacuum on both sides
- Periodically check for moth damage
- Treat the fibers with a stain repellent to prevent marking
A huge selection of genuine Persian rugs and Persian styled oriental rugs are available. If you choose the right rug you will have many trouble free years of use.
Modern wool rugs such as Tibetan rugs from Nepal are unique:
- They come in a varied shapes and sizes
- Are available in traditional Tibetan style and contemporary design
- The craft of Wool based Tibetan rugs is centuries old
Why wool for rugs?
Weavers of the first Tibetan Rugs chose wool because wool is
- Elastic and strong
- Water repellent
- Anti static
- Dirt resistant
- Imparts great looks
Hand woven oriental wool rugs are Eco friendly because of the
- Longevity of the final product and use of natural materials
- Vegetable dyes used to dye the wool